Handsworth Parent Advisory Council
As a community of parents, the HPAC works with school administrators and staff to support student success.
This site provides parents with news about HPAC activities and events, connects you with information and resources you need, and identifies opportunities where you can make a difference to the school.
Welcome Handsworth Parents!
Happy New Year from the Handsworth PAC!
Please note our NEXT HPAC meeting will be held Monday January 21st @7PM in Learning Commons. Student Council will be there to teach us how to use Instagram & Twitter!!!
Grade 12 Grad Info:
Sunday January 27th Enchanted Winter Formal
Tickets on sale Wednesday at 1:05pm
$85/credit card only
One per customer, closed event exclusive to Handsworth grade 12 grads
Capacity is 240 so purchase quickly so you are not disappointed
Lots of great door prizes. Grand door prize is Canucks tickets
HERE IS THE EVENTBRITE LINK
Public Input Meeting re new school build:
Wednesday January 9th, 2019 6:30PM-8:30PM in the Learning Commons
HPAC/Teacher workshop Wednesday January 30th @6:00PM
Interested in Learning Some Sewing Basics?
Come and experience what your kids are learning in textiles at our first PARENT TEACHER WORKSHOP with Shannon Marshall
When: Wednesday January 30th @6:00 – 8:00PM
Where: Handsworth Room 206
Beginner & Novice sewers
are welcome to join this 2-hour sewing session to make a reusable grocery
bag while you learn about seam allowances & seam finishes
Maximum: 20 adults
Presented by Shannon Marshall & the HPAC
Please RSVP email@example.com
Many thanks to the parents who attended our October 15th meeting in the Learning Commons.
During the meeting we heard from the student council about some of the exciting activities they have planned for the school year including an Apple Bobbing Competition, Haunted House and Costume Contest, a Student vs. Staff Soccer Game, Santa’s Breakfast and Year End BBQ. Representatives from the Robotics club provided information about the club. Interest in robotics is growing- they have around 30 members attending each meeting. Teacher-sponsor John Vatougios explained that other schools in the Lower Mainland have very robust robotics programs and it’s something Handsworth staff and students are hoping to continue to grow over the next few years. Principal Rupi Samra-Gynane reported on the recent events of note including the Buchanan Bowl, the October 2 School Replacement Presentation and Japan Student Exchange. Also of note was the accident on Montroyal that occurred on Tuesday, October 9 injuring Handsworth Students on their walk to school. The community is hoping that safety improvements will be made to the crossing at Montroyal and Cliffridge. The PAC Chair extended a big THANK YOU to the Handsworth Royals Football Team in their volunteer support for the Strachan Hartley Run on Sunday, October 14. HPAC has now received its thirty-five thousand dollar gaming grant and we will be reviewing teacher wish lists and making final allocations at our budget meeting on Monday, November 19th. We also will be holding a vote to approve the new Bylaws and Constitution.
All Handsworth Parents are encouraged to attend the meeting and vote. Please note these updates are required under the new Society Act no later than November 30, 2018 in order to maintain society status.
The top areas of interest from the HPAC Programming Survey are as follows:
1.Social Media Education and Awareness
2.Tied for second place:
•Cannabis Information for Parents and Students
•Post Secondary Options for Students
•Money Management for Teens
•Teen Mental Health
We will use the survey results to guide our program planning for the upcoming year. Nov 14th there will be a Community Info night on the Legalization of Cannabis by Foundry. FREE tickets are available at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/the-legalization-of-cannabis-a-communityconversation-tickets-51349914978
DPAC News Everyone is invited to the next General Meeting of the North Vancouver Parents Advisory Council on November 28th at 7 pm at the Education Services Centre, 2121 Lonsdale Avenue (5th Floor). The topic is "Streamlining Communications" - How the school district is working to communicate better with parents.
Parents of Grade 12 Students
Save the Dates for Grade 12 Graduation Events:
•Winter Formal: January 27, 2019
•Parent Social: March 2, 2019
•Safe Grad: June 8, 2019
•Grad Pancake Breakfast @ Handsworth: June 9, 2019 (immediately following Safe Grad)
For up to date info try following us on Twitter@
Follow Handsworth Secondary on Instagram @HandsworthHSS, on Twitter @HandsworthHSS & Facebook under Handsworth Secondary School.
Follow Grade 12 Grad info @hssgrads
HPAC Meeting Dates 2018-19 @7:00 PM Library Learning Commons:
October 15, 2018
November 19, 2018 – Budget
December – no meeting
January 21, 2019
February 25, 2019
March – no meeting
April 15, 2019
May 13, 2019 – AGM
June 2019 – no meeting
*Follow us on Twitter @handsworthPAC
For information on the school replacement project please click on the link
The Foundry www.foundrybc.ca
- part of a province-wide network of integrated health and social service centres for young people ages 12-24.
- provides a one-stop-shop for young people to access mental health care, substance abuse services, primary care, social services and youth and family peer supports.
- goal is to reach young people earlier before health challenges become problematic and to get them the services they need
- Contact info: foundrybc.ca and located at 211 W. 1st Street North Vancouver
Capilano Community Services Society www.capservices.ca
- Youth outreach workers at Handsworth four afternoons a week: DJ Hunt, Tristan Cyprien and Kelsey Pagley.
- Fridays they have separate girls and boys clubs in rooms 231/233 - everyone is welcome and they provide free pizza at one meeting a month
- Offer one to one support for youth and can assist with issues such as trouble with school, anger management, sexual health information, drug and alcohol support, self-esteem and family and peer relationship difficulties
- Contact info: www.capservices.ca and phone 604-988-7115
Nurse Laura Battison firstname.lastname@example.org
- Vancouver Coastal Health nurse assigned to Handsworth
- Able to provide support, education and referral in healthy living, sexual health, mental health, anxiety and disordered eating, also contact for immunization info.
- Grade 9 Immunizations
- Contact info: email@example.com and phone 604-418-2192
Handsworth School Counsellors/Administrators
Grade 8 – Stacey Schwegler, Justin Wong
Grade 9/International – Dave Craik, Rupi Samra-Gynane
Grade 10/International – Dana Millar, Mark Barrett
Grade 11 – Trina Infanta, Justin Wong
Grade 12 – David Lavallee, Mark Barrett
Choices – Trina Infanta
Ways to support student success at Handworth
1. Come to a HPAC meeting or event Connect with other Handsworth parents, catch up on what’s going on at the school, and provide your input and ideas on how parents can support student success at Handsworth.
2. Volunteer Help out with an HPAC initiative or event. Any contribution of your time or talents is valued. Contact us for more information.
3. Donate HERE Contribute to educational resources to enhance student learning. Dollars from our Provincial gaming funds budget and fundraising efforts stretch only so far to meet student needs. All donations in excess of $25 will be issued a tax receipt.