Handsworth Parent Advisory Council
As a community of parents, the HPAC works with school administrators and staff to support student success.
This site provides parents with news about HPAC activities and events, connects you with information and resources you need, and identifies opportunities where you can make a difference to the school.
Welcome Handsworth Parents!
We had a fantastic turnout of about 50 parents to our first meeting of the 2018-2019 school year! Many
thanks to our school nurse Laura Battison and the Capilano Community Services Youth Outreach
Workers for coming out to speak at our 1st HPAC meeting of the school year! The school nurse has
lunch time office hours at Handsworth every Tuesday. The Youth Outreach workers have office hours 12
to 2 PM on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
Our Handsworth Principal Rupi-Samra Gynane was on hand to talk about some of the new initiatives.
This year the theme we will be focusing on at Handsworth is "Building Connections" which is about
relationships, including relationships between people, places, spaces and curriculum. She also answered
questions and gave us updates on the timeline for the Handsworth Secondary Replacement Project.
We urge all families to consider donating to the Handsworth 21st Century Classroom Furniture Fundraiser. If you would like to contribute online go to: https://sd44.schoolcashonline.com.
Please join us at our next HPAC meeting on Monday, October 15 in the Learning Commons and learn more about student council and school clubs at the school. We look forward to seeing you there!
We are gathering feedback from parents about the types of programming you are interested in for the
upcoming year. Please complete the survey available here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/
You can also subscribe to updates from HPAC using this link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/
Follow us on twitter @handsworthpac.
Next HPAC meeting is Monday Oct 15th 2018 in the Library Learning Commons@7:00PM
For up to date info try following us on Twitter@
Follow Handsworth Secondary on Instagram @HandsworthHSS, on Twitter @HandsworthHSS & Facebook under Handsworth Secondary School.
Follow Grade 12 Grad info @hssgrads
HPAC Meeting Dates 2018-19 @7:00 PM Library Learning Commons:
October 15, 2018
November 19, 2018 – Budget
December – no meeting
January 21, 2019
February 25, 2019
March – no meeting
April 15, 2019
May 13, 2019 – AGM
June 2019 – no meeting
*Follow us on Twitter @handsworthPAC
For information on the school replacement project please click on the link
The Foundry www.foundrybc.ca
- part of a province-wide network of integrated health and social service centres for young people ages 12-24.
- provides a one-stop-shop for young people to access mental health care, substance abuse services, primary care, social services and youth and family peer supports.
- goal is to reach young people earlier before health challenges become problematic and to get them the services they need
- Contact info: foundrybc.ca and located at 211 W. 1st Street North Vancouver
Capilano Community Services Society www.capservices.ca
- Youth outreach workers at Handsworth four afternoons a week: DJ Hunt, Tristan Cyprien and Kelsey Pagley.
- Fridays they have separate girls and boys clubs in rooms 231/233 - everyone is welcome and they provide free pizza at one meeting a month
- Offer one to one support for youth and can assist with issues such as trouble with school, anger management, sexual health information, drug and alcohol support, self-esteem and family and peer relationship difficulties
- Contact info: www.capservices.ca and phone 604-988-7115
Nurse Laura Battison email@example.com
- Vancouver Coastal Health nurse assigned to Handsworth
- Able to provide support, education and referral in healthy living, sexual health, mental health, anxiety and disordered eating, also contact for immunization info.
- Grade 9 Immunizations
- Contact info: firstname.lastname@example.org and phone 604-418-2192
Handsworth School Counsellors/Administrators
Grade 8 – Stacey Schwegler, Justin Wong
Grade 9/International – Dave Craik, Rupi Samra-Gynane
Grade 10/International – Dana Millar, Mark Barrett
Grade 11 – Trina Infanta, Justin Wong
Grade 12 – David Lavallee, Mark Barrett
Choices – Trina Infanta
Ways to support student success at Handworth
1. Come to a HPAC meeting or event Connect with other Handsworth parents, catch up on what’s going on at the school, and provide your input and ideas on how parents can support student success at Handsworth.
2. Volunteer Help out with an HPAC initiative or event. Any contribution of your time or talents is valued. Contact us for more information.
3. Donate HERE Contribute to educational resources to enhance student learning. Dollars from our Provincial gaming funds budget and fundraising efforts stretch only so far to meet student needs. All donations in excess of $25 will be issued a tax receipt.