Handsworth Parent Advisory Council
As a community of parents, the HPAC works with school administrators and staff to support student success.
This site provides parents with news about HPAC activities and events, connects you with information and resources you need, and identifies opportunities where you can make a difference to the school.
Welcome Handsworth Parents!
The Handsworth Parent Advisory Council (HPAC) would like to extend a warm welcome to returning and new students, staff and parents.
We’re looking forward to meeting you and sharing an exciting year of learning together.
Please join us in the school library for our first meeting of the year on Monday, September 17th, 2018 at 7pm. This evening will be a wonderful opportunity to meet other parents and to connect with key members of the Handsworth Community.
Our guests will include Principal Rupi Samra-Gynane, who will talk about new school initiatives, including the school replacement project and this year’s theme “Building Connections”.
We are also pleased to host our School Nurse Laura Battison who will talk about her role, as well as the Grade 9 vaccination program. Youth Outreach Workers from Capilano Community Services Society will also be on hand to talk about their lunch-time activities for students at Handsworth and additional resources.
HPAC supports the school’s vision statement “to develop empowered, innovative and compassionate learners who serve and lead with curiosity and integrity."
We strive to provide parents and guardians with useful and interesting presentations throughout the year and to enrich the artistic, athletic and leadership opportunities available for students.
Attending our meetings is a great way to keep up to date with what’s happening at the school. Please see a complete list of meeting dates below.
We are also looking to fill the positions of Secretary, DPAC and Communications. Contact HPAC Chair Janet Carswell at firstname.lastname@example.org if you’re interested.
We also encourage you to check the school website daily for updates and announcements @https://www.sd44.ca/school/handsworth/About/thisweekathandsworthsec/Pages/default.aspx.
Wishing your families a safe and successful school year.
Follow us on Twitter @HandsworthPAC
Follow Handsworth on Instagram @HandsworthHSS, on Twitter @HandsworthHSS & Facebook under Handsworth Secondary School.
HPAC Meeting Dates 2018-19:
October 15, 2018
November 19, 2018 – Budget
December – no meeting
January 21, 2019
February 25, 2019
March – no meeting
April 15, 2019
May 13, 2019 – AGM
June 2019 – no meeting
*Follow us on Twitter @handsworthPAC
For information on the school replacement project please click on the link
The Foundry www.foundrybc.ca
- part of a province-wide network of integrated health and social service centres for young people ages 12-24.
- provides a one-stop-shop for young people to access mental health care, substance abuse services, primary care, social services and youth and family peer supports.
- goal is to reach young people earlier before health challenges become problematic and to get them the services they need
- Contact info: foundrybc.ca and located at 211 W. 1st Street North Vancouver
Capilano Community Services Society www.capservices.ca
- Youth outreach workers at Handsworth four afternoons a week: DJ Hunt, Tristan Cyprien and Kelsey Pagley.
- Fridays they have separate girls and boys clubs in rooms 231/233 - everyone is welcome and they provide free pizza at one meeting a month
- Offer one to one support for youth and can assist with issues such as trouble with school, anger management, sexual health information, drug and alcohol support, self-esteem and family and peer relationship difficulties
- Contact info: www.capservices.ca and phone 604-988-7115
Nurse Laura Battison email@example.com
- Vancouver Coastal Health nurse assigned to Handsworth
- Able to provide support, education and referral in healthy living, sexual health, mental health, anxiety and disordered eating, also contact for immunization info.
- Grade 9 Immunizations
- Contact info: firstname.lastname@example.org and phone 604-418-2192
Handsworth School Counsellors/Administrators
Grade 8 – Stacey Schwegler, Justin Wong
Grade 9/International – Dave Craik, Rupi Samra-Gynane
Grade 10/International – Dana Millar, Mark Barrett
Grade 11 – Trina Infanta, Justin Wong
Grade 12 – David Lavallee, Mark Barrett
Choices – Trina Infanta
Ways to support student success at Handworth
1. Come to a HPAC meeting or event Connect with other Handsworth parents, catch up on what’s going on at the school, and provide your input and ideas on how parents can support student success at Handsworth.
2. Volunteer Help out with an HPAC initiative or event. Any contribution of your time or talents is valued. Contact us for more information.
3. Donate HERE Contribute to educational resources to enhance student learning. Dollars from our Provincial gaming funds budget and fundraising efforts stretch only so far to meet student needs. All donations in excess of $25 will be issued a tax receipt.