The Handsworth Secondary School Association (HSSA)/ Handsworth Parent Advisory Council (HPAC) is the voice of parents at Handsworth. Members include parents and guardians of all Handsworth students.
The purpose of the HPAC is to represent parents with the goal of supporting student success and building a strong community. We promote a positive partnership between home and school with clear and open communications. We work towards enhancing the educational experiences and resources for our students and fostering the well-being of students and families in our Handsworth community.
We are guided by and support the Handsworth School Vision:
The Handsworth community develops empowered, innovative and compassionate learners who serve and lead with curiosity and integrity.
What we do
- Hold regular meetings, with staff and student guests, to connect parents to what is going on at Handsworth and to provide a forum for discussion of school and educational issues
- Communicate PAC and school-related information and resources on our website
- Manage Government gaming funds and PAC fundraised monies to enhance school resources
- Host parent education events and other speakers
- Sponsor special events
- Support student initiatives and activities
- Provide hospitality for Grade 8 parent welcome event
- Participate in staff appreciation events
- Network with other high school parent groups via North Vancouver District PAC
- Participate in BC Confederation of Parent Advisory Councils events
- Liaise with Canadian Parents for French
- Liaise with North Vancouver School District 44
Executive meetings are held one week prior to the scheduled HPAC during which the agenda for the general meeting is set. If you have any concerns, issues or ideas that you would like to raise at a future HPAC meeting, please get in touch with one of our executive members so it can be discussed and put on the agenda.
HPAC generally meets every third Monday at 7:00 pm in the school library. There are no meetings in December and March. The meeting in May (AGM) is the second Monday. Please refer to our events page for upcoming meetings.